Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 172 / Power: 20
qbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samsterqbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samster
Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

Wayne commits himself for another four years

The Observer:

Wayne Rooney has agreed a new £100,000-a-week contract with Manchester United that will keep him at Old Trafford until 2012. The England striker still has four years to run on his present contract, but had no hesitation signing a two-year extension with a significant pay rise to put him among the club's top earners.

'I have been looking to sign a new contract for a while now and it's great for me and the club to get it over with,' said Rooney. 'I've loved my time here, all the fans, the players and the staff have made me feel welcome from day one, and obviously the manager played a big part in my decision too. He is the best manager of all time and I'm looking for a lot more trophies. Hopefully we can win the league this season and kick on from there.'

By the year 2012 Rooney will not be so much of a boy any more, but Ryan Giggs, a player who celebrates 20 years with United next year, agreed continuity was important. 'It's great news because Wayne is the kind of player you build a team around,' Giggs said. 'He is such a special talent. Wayne and Cristiano Ronaldo are the kind of players who are going to be the future of Manchester United for the next five or six years.'

Sunday Times:

Manchester United have given themselves the greatest fillip imaginable before today’s showdown with Chelsea by announcing that Wayne Rooney has extended his contract and will remain at Old Trafford for at least six more years.

Rooney’s new deal will expire in 2012, by which time he will be almost 27, guaranteeing United the services of England’s greatest talent through to his peak years. The value of the striker is reflected in the financial terms of the contract, which is thought to be the most lucrative in United’s history and will make Rooney Britain’s richest player, apart from David Beckham.

"We are building a new team and we want our best players like Wayne, who, without question, is going to be one of the best players in the world if he isn’t at the moment. We are going to get the best years of the boy, there is no question," said Sir Alex Ferguson. "He is improving all the time. Cristiano (Ronaldo) signed a new contract last year and we see him and Wayne emerging as the best players in the world. They have their finest years in front of them."

Rooney said: "It’s something I have always wanted. There is so much that I want to achieve here, hopefully starting with the Premiership this season. The manager has played a big part in me wanting to agree a new deal. He is the best manager of all time." Ferguson will hope the feelgood factor will give his side the edge in this afternoon’s league meeting with Jose Mourinho’s men.

It is believed Rooney will increase his wages from £55,000 to around £100,000 a week, making the deal worth more than £30m in salary alone. With bonuses and commercial deals, he could earn £10m a year.

Sunday Telegraph:

As his manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "We're going to get the best years of the boy, there is no doubt about that. Our chief executive David Gill has been working on this with Wayne's agent for some weeks."

The deal also closes the door on any ambitions Chelsea might have harboured of stealing Rooney, the jewel in England's crown, in the next few years. They were in for him before United signed him two years ago but he explained: "I really didn't fancy going to live in London. I wanted to stay close to home. Once I knew United were interested, there was only one place I was going." Rooney said last night: "Obviously I'm delighted to sign an extension to my contract. I have loved every minute of my time here and had no hesitation in signing. I'm looking to achieve a lot and want to win trophies. Hopefully, we can win the league this year and then kick on from there."

Then, in a tribute to Ferguson, he added: "The manager played a big part in my decision. He is the best manager of all time." The news of the contract came also, as Labour spin doctors would have realised, on a good day to bury bad news after Rooney was interviewed by police over allegations that he was involved in a brawl outside a Manchester night club.

Mail on Sunday:

Wayne Rooney will earn up to £100 million over the next six years after signing a new contract with Manchester United which makes him the highest-paid player in British football history.

Rooney, 21, last night put pen to paper on a deal that will keep him at Old Trafford until 2012 and add £36m to his bank balance in salary alone.

Add to that his earnings from commercial endorsements, image rights and bonuses for United and England, and Rooney's income over the life of his new contract will hit the £100m mark.

He said: "I'm delighted. I've loved my time here and didn't have any hesitation signing."

News of Rooney's bumper deal will give United fans a massive boost ahead of today's crucial Premiership showdown with Chelsea, especially after the claim by the champions' chief executive, Peter Kenyon, that his club wanted to surpass United as the biggest in the world.