Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 172 / Power: 20
qbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samsterqbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samster
Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

Moyes' battle with Rooney spices Everton's visit

David Moyes has insisted Manchester United boast the quality to reclaim the Premiership title this season, though his side's visit to Old Trafford tonight is overshadowed by a first confrontation with Wayne Rooney since the Everton manager launched legal proceedings against his former protégé over allegations made in the England forward's autobiography.
Moyes instructed his lawyer Mel Goldberg, chairman of the British Association for Sport and Law, to sue the 21-year-old, his ghostwriter Hunter Davies and HarperCollins, the publishers of Wayne Rooney - My Story So Far, this month. The Scot felt his reputation was damaged by allegations that he had leaked details of a private conversation with Rooney to the Liverpool Echo just before Rooney's £27m move to United in 2004.

He is also aggrieved at claims in the book that he was responsible for forcing Rooney out of Goodison Park, arguing to the contrary that Everton were willing to make him the highest-paid player in their history. Rooney's management and legal advisers have insisted their client stands by his comments, with the row now apparently destined for the High Court and relations between Moyes and the player he nurtured so keenly as a 16-year-old prodigy now damaged beyond repair.

Moyes would not answer questions on Rooney yesterday but, while their squabble is an unnerving sub-plot tonight, the manager was more forthcoming about Sir Alex Ferguson. He attended Sunday's draw with Chelsea and, with United three points clear at the top, said Ferguson boasts the pedigree in his squad to reclaim the title.

"What United have done is show it's going to be a really tight championship battle," said Moyes. "There was nothing between the two teams on Sunday. When you've been at a club 20 years like Sir Alex, you're going to have times when you have to change the team and build a new one. But now they are a really good team. It's a real tight call to pick between them and Chelsea . . . but United can do it."

United may rely on Rooney playing as a lone striker tonight with Louis Saha and Cristiano Ronaldo both facing fitness tests and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hamstrung. Everton have not won at Old Trafford since 1992, despite drawing on their last two visits, and Moyes has his own injury concerns with Everton's leading scorers, Andrew Johnson and Tim Cahill, out and Tim Howard, on loan from United, ineligible.

"We don't go there with fear," he added. "We understand how good the quality of the opposition is. Yet this is a game I've been looking forward to for a long time. We've had a couple of draws and I'm looking forward to getting my first win there."