View Single Post
Old 13-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 776 / Power: 19
KatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to behold
Thai village a shopping haven for Malaysians

Report from The New Straits Times dated 13 August 2011 :-

Thai village a shopping haven for Malaysians

RANTAU PANJANG: Malaysians, especially Muslims, continue to cross over to Mundok market, the shopping haven on the Thai side of the border here, to buy clothes and accessories in preparation for Hari Raya.

Although it is too early to buy the items, many shoppers, when interviewed, claimed that they grabbed the opportunity of the cheap prices of the goods sold at the market to buy as many as they wanted.

And despite the look of exhaustion, the shoppers appeared to enjoy buying the items, from the simple baju kurung and heads scarves, to the most expensive -- jeans, shoes and handbags.

"I'm willing to travel from Pasir Putih to the market because I want to buy new clothes for Hari Raya. My friend told me that the baju kurung and clothes for children are so much nicer.

"When I arrived at the market, I could not believe the variety of baju kurung and head scarves available.

"The children's clothes are also plenty and the prices reasonable.

"I bought 10 pairs of baju kurung and clothes for my children and four pieces of head scarves," said 34-year-old Ayuni Ahmad, a mother of four, who was at the market with two friends.

A visit to the market yesterday saw the rows of shophouses, which previously was about 50, had increased by 15 recently due to the overwhelming response not only from Malaysians but also from the locals.

The number of boats plying along Sungai Golok to ferry Malaysians from jetties near Kampung Bukit Lata here to the market have also doubled, from 15 to 30 boats.

Several policemen were seen monitoring the jetties while some were spotted checking on the arrival of the Malaysians, whether they brought in smuggled items, including firecrackers.

Mundok is a small village on the Thai side of Sungai Golok.

It has been a favourite shopping haven for Malaysians since three years ago.

Read more: Thai village a shopping haven for Malaysians http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/1...#ixzz1UsauS3BL