The Asian Commercial Sex Scene  

Go Back   The Asian Commercial Sex Scene > For stuff you can't discuss with your Facebook Account > Soccer, Horses, and MBS/RWS talk

Notices

Soccer, Horses, and MBS/RWS talk With the IRs up and running, what better place to exchange tips and techniques on how to tip the odds in your favour! [Please note that with the passing of the Remote Gambling Act, Internet gambling links and Adverts are no longer allowed in this section.]

Fastgoal Image
Fastgoal : Reliable Score Service

User Tag List

Old 30-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 14 / Power: 0
Theme1 deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy
Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

Paolo Menicucci Milan
30 April 2007
The Guardian

Milan beat Torino 1-0 at the weekend to move up to third in Serie A but most of the talk afterwards was of a 33-year-old striker who did not even make it on to the pitch. Filippo Inzaghi was rested on Saturday so he could continue his recovery from injury and be fit for Wednesday's Champions League semi-final return leg against Manchester United.

And how Milan need him. Alberto Gilardino has been poor in Europe, Ronaldo is cup-tied and Ricardo Oliveira has failed to settle in Italy. "Gilardino has scored only once in the Champions League so far," said the Milan coach, Carlo Ancelotti. "There is more pressure in the Champions League than in the league and Gilardino is not experienced enough to manage it yet. Inzaghi is in good condition and there's a good chance he could play on Wednesday."

Inzaghi showed in the quarter-final second leg against Bayern Munich that he is still a forward to fear. After the first game finished 2-2, he beat the German side's offside trap to pick up Clarence Seedorf's clever through ball and beat Oliver Kahn from close range. It was his fourth Champions League goal this season and set Milan on their way to a 2-0 win.

"I'm very happy to hear that everyone is counting on me for the game against Manchester," Inzaghi said yesterday. "I love to feel the trust of the people around me. It helps me to perform better. We will give it our all in this game. We are perfectly aware of our strengths and we will play in front of our fans, who will give us a tremendous support."

Gennaro Gattuso is expected to recover from the foot injury he sustained in the first leg, but Paolo Maldini is still a doubt. Inzaghi, meanwhile, have more incentive than most to eliminate United, having scored two early goals as Juventus lost 3-2 to Sir Alex Ferguson's side in that memorable 1999 second-leg semi-final in Turin. "We will have to play a great game, but we know we can beat them," he said. "These are the games you always want to play."
Old 30-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Samster

Inzaghi plots his revenge on United
Paolo Menicucci Milan

Milan beat Torino 1-0 at the weekend to move up to third in Serie A but most of the talk afterwards was of a 33-year-old striker who did not even make it on to the pitch. Filippo Inzaghi was rested on Saturday so he could continue his recovery from injury and be fit for Wednesday's Champions League semi-final return leg against Manchester United.

And how Milan need him. Alberto Gilardino has been poor in Europe, Ronaldo is cup-tied and Ricardo Oliveira has failed to settle in Italy. "Gilardino has scored only once in the Champions League so far," said the Milan coach, Carlo Ancelotti. "There is more pressure in the Champions League than in the league and Gilardino is not experienced enough to manage it yet. Inzaghi is in good condition and there's a good chance he could play on Wednesday."

Inzaghi showed in the quarter-final second leg against Bayern Munich that he is still a forward to fear. After the first game finished 2-2, he beat the German side's offside trap to pick up Clarence Seedorf's clever through ball and beat Oliver Kahn from close range. It was his fourth Champions League goal this season and set Milan on their way to a 2-0 win.

"I'm very happy to hear that everyone is counting on me for the game against Manchester," Inzaghi said yesterday. "I love to feel the trust of the people around me. It helps me to perform better. We will give it our all in this game. We are perfectly aware of our strengths and we will play in front of our fans, who will give us a tremendous support."

Gennaro Gattuso is expected to recover from the foot injury he sustained in the first leg, but Paolo Maldini is still a doubt. Inzaghi, meanwhile, have more incentive than most to eliminate United, having scored two early goals as Juventus lost 3-2 to Sir Alex Ferguson's side in that memorable 1999 second-leg semi-final in Turin. "We will have to play a great game, but we know we can beat them," he said. "These are the games you always want to play."
Old 30-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Samster

Carrick sale helps Spurs post record profits
1 May 2007
Leisure Report

Reporting interim results for the six months to 31 December 2006, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club said it had recorded a a record pre-tax profit of £20m, thanks largely to the sale of midfielder Michael Carrick to Manchester United, for an initial £14m.

Turnover from key operational areas was higher than in the corresponding period last year, while total turnover for the period was higher than the club's annual turnover, prior to the current management team joining the business six years ago.

The 32% increase in turnover was driven primarily from the uplift in key sponsorship deals, and the club's progress in both cup and European competitions.

Spurs generated an operating profit of £14.3m, before amortisation. Profit on disposals (player sales) came in at a total of £15.2m, which after all other trading brought profit on ordinary activities, before interest and taxation to £20.9m (2005: £5.8m).

Premier League gate receipts were marginally higher than in the same period last year, representing the same number of league games with attendances consistently at or near capacity. The key difference for the period was the receipts from Cup competitions, which were £4.5m higher than in the corresponding period last year due to the five additional home games played in the period.

Sponsorship income of £7.0m for the six months was £3.8m up against the corresponding prior period. Corporate hospitality also contributed a strong performance, producing income of £5.9m (2005: £5.3m) boosted by the income from additional cup games.

Media and broadcasting revenues in the period rose by £1.7m, largely due to increased live Sky television appearances compared to the same period last year but also from the sale of broadcasting rights for the club's home UEFA Cup games. This revenue stream will continue to outperform prior years as the new media deals for domestic and overseas rights from the 2007/2008 season are substantially higher.

The merchandising division also improved against the same period last year, with turnover up by £1.5m.

Operating expenses before amortisation were 4% higher at £33.5m, compared to £32.1m in the comparative period, the key increment being player salaries and the additional cost of transporting the team around Europe for Uefa Cup matches.

Amortisation of intangible fixed assets continued to increase, seeing a 30% rise, reflecting continued investment in the squad. This was balanced by the profit on disposal of players.

During the period the club drew down £20m of securitised funding which is repayable over a 16-year period. This was set up to fund investment in the proposed new Academy and First Team Facility. These monies have been ring fenced from operational requirements, together with additional funds from the club's own resources, while the planning process continues.

Daniel Levy, chairman, said: The overall position is a significant improvement as we continue to push every area of the club to perform at its best. The financial position remains strong and we remain in the elite group of Europe's wealthiest clubs, as defined by the Deloitte Football Money League. The key is to build on European progression and ensure we attain greater consistency in the league, and domestic cup competitions."

Financial Highlights

Six months to 31 Dec 06 £m Six months to 31 Dec 05 £m

Turnover 47.8 36.3

Amortisation of intangible fixed assets (8.6) (6.7)

Profit on sale of intangible fixed assets 15.2 8.3

Profit before tax 20.0 4.4

Retained profit for the financial period 13.8 2.5

Earnings per share - basic 14.8p 2.6p

Earnings per share - diluted 7.9p 1.9p
Old 30-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Samster

Talking Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

Quality offsets fatigue;Football
Gianluca Vialli
30 April 2007

Gianluca Vialli : United and Chelsea have defied the odds despite hectic run-ins.

IF YOU HAD ASKED ME before the semi-finals, I would have told you that Chelsea and Manchester United deserved to meet in Athens, mostly for the amazing consistency they have displayed all season. If you are chasing a treble (or, in Chelsea's case, a quadruple), you have proved that your semi-final status is not a fluke, rather you are one of the best around.

Yet, at the same time, I had a hunch that it would be AC Milan and Liverpool who would advance. Given everything that United and Chelsea have been through - particularly fixture pile-ups and injuries - I thought they could falter at the penultimate hurdle.

And yet, United and Chelsea proved me wrong in the first leg. Chelsea matched Liverpool mentally and physically and, if anything, United looked fresher than Milan. This does not mean, however, that United and Chelsea are not fatigued.

Rather, they are handling the exhaustion well.

I have been fortunate to play for teams who went all the way domestically and in Europe and I know how tough it can be when the fixtures come thick and fast. In my opinion, if you put in the hard work ahead of time and came into the season with a solid fitness base, you can weather the rapid succession of big games.

Part of it is psychosomatic. As long as you keep winning and are confident, you don't feel the fatigue as much. But a big part of it is what happens off the pitch and what came before, during pre-season. Most clubs realise that, come the spring, it is impossible to work on fitness training. So you try to maintain - and even top up - the players' fitness levels on the pitch, during matches. It is really the only time when they can push themselves. It can work, as long as they complement this by doing the right things in terms of diet and, particularly, rest.

Indeed, I would suggest that there is only one significant downside to playing so many matches in such a short period of time: when you rush back players from injury and they are less than 100 per cent fit. I have been in that situation and it can be very difficult. On the one hand you're trying to find your match rhythm; on the other you don't have your fitness back, so every game is twice as exhausting.

At this stage of the season, managers also have to worry about the mental side. In this sense, Carlo Ancelotti and Rafael Benitez have an easier job because they have far less at stake in the league. However, Jose Mourinho and Sir Alex Ferguson have to deal with the title race every day. True, there is a five-point gap after Saturday's matches, but, given the head-to-head clash at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday week, I am convinced that there will be a few twists and turns. And I think the players on both teams know this all too well.

Yet, right now, both sides need to force themselves not to think about the league and focus exclusively on Europe, at least until the semi-finals are decided. You cannot let the disappointment or elation (depending on where you stand) of the weekend affect your preparation. Both managers have been in these situations before, so they will have the experience of knowing what to tell their players.

Whether or not they respond in the right way is a different matter. We will find out in the next few days.

Looking at the match-ups, clearly the one at Old Trafford was more entertaining, reflecting the philosophy of the managers. Both teams simply went for it, believing that the best defence is attack, which, not coincidentally, means that both teams were playing to their strengths. I expect the return leg will be no different and, frankly, it is impossible to make any kind of prediction on the outcome.

Solidity is etched in the DNA of Liverpool and Chelsea, so perhaps it is not surprising that things played out the way they did at Stamford Bridge. We were never going to see the swashbuckling entertainment of the night before. Still, I think that perhaps Liverpool - had they shown a bit more creativity and enterprise on the night - could have done a bit more, given Chelsea's numerous absences.

Speaking of absences, I am sure that many Chelsea fans held their breath when Ricardo Carvalho picked up an injury against Bolton Wanderers. I think he has been an unsung hero this season and his partnership with John Terry is one of the best around. If he is not ready tomorrow, Mourinho will have a difficult decision to make. Regardless of whether he moves Michael Essien into the back four or whether he goes with Khalid Boulahrouz, he will be forced to play a 6ft central defender (and a makeshift one in Essien's case) against Peter Crouch, who is 7in taller. It could be one of the tactical keys to the game. Stay tuned.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:22 AM
Samster

My Reputation: Points: 172 / Power: 21
qbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samsterqbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samster

Scholes shrugs off final ban fear

Paul Scholes will not allow the heartbreaking prospect of missing a second Champions League final to affect his performance in Milan on Wednesday.

Just like Roy Keane, Scholes was sat in the Nou Camp stands on the night Manchester United became champions of Europe in such thrilling fashion against Bayern Munich in 1999, a legacy of a needless booking picked up for dissent in the semi-final win over Juventus.

Eight years on and Scholes will head to Italy this week once again walking a disciplinary tightrope, knowing a yellow card will prevent him from appearing on the greatest stage the European club game has to offer should United preserve their narrow first-leg lead at the San Siro.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Gabriel Heinze are in exactly the same position. But, while it would be fair to wonder whether that duo's mindset might be affected by potentially missing out on the biggest game of their lives, there are no such fears over Scholes.

"I won't let the bookings situation bother me," he said. "It is just another game to and another chance to get to a Champions League final."

One of the game's most straightforward individuals, Scholes assesses the situation confronting him with a refreshing lack of sentimentality.

"I don't think of it being more important to get through because of what happened to me last time," he said.

"It is a major tournament, one that every team in Europe wants to be involved in.

"It still feels the same as the semi-final was in 1999. We all want to get there and we all want to win it if we do."

A more pertinent point, although one that almost certainly escapes the Scholes radar as well is that, at 32, time is running out for one of the finest English players of his generation to make an indelible mark on the wider game.

Six times a Premiership winner already, Scholes was a major influence behind the remarkable win at Everton on Saturday that will almost certainly ensure he finishes the season with a seventh championship medal in his pocket.

England coach Steve McClaren still shakes his head with a mixture of disbelief and frustration at Scholes' refusal to countenance a return to international combat.

That means any future success the Salford-born player enjoys will be exclusively at club level, and - barring any late transfer to his beloved Oldham - with United.

Scholes is not the type to start making any bold statements about what the Red Devils will achieve in Milan but he does recognise a couple of positive signs.

Seven of the XI which started in the San Siro when United were beaten by the same opponents in the first knockout round two years ago are likely to be in Sir Alex Ferguson's side this week.

Crucially, as well as Scholes and fellow veteran Ryan Giggs, the number includes star youngsters Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney.

And, while a repeat of the 1-0 defeat United suffered on that occasion would see Milan through, Scholes is hopeful of a more positive outcome.

"It will help having been there before," he said. "We know what we are facing.

"What happened a couple of years ago was a big disappointment. But the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney are a couple of years older now."

Ferguson is likely to stick to his attacking philosophy as doubts persist over his defence.

First-choice central defensive partners Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic could be involved but neither can be assured of full match fitness.

Vidic in particular can hardly be expected to reach his peak given he has not played since dislocating his collarbone against Blackburn at the end of last month.

The results of a scan the Serbian is due to have on the injury will determine whether he travels with the United squad, with Ferguson declaring "we will have a decision to make", if the news is positive.

In all likelihood though, the best Ferguson can expect from Vidic is to bolster the bench in a tie where Scholes feels plenty of thrills and spills remain after last week's five-goal epic.

"We never seem to do things the easy way, so there is probably more excitement to come," said the midfielder.

"The goal we scored in the last minute of the first game certainly gave us a boost and I suppose there is a possibility it might disheartened Milan a little bit.

"I can't really see that happening though. It is going to be a very tough game. I just hope we can do a bit better than we did last time."
Old 01-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Samster

Mourinho puts his job on line by dropping Shevchenko

It is the row that could tear Chelsea apart ahead of the biggest game of their season. Jose Mourinho and Andrei Shevchenko have fallen out over the Chelsea manager's decision to drop the £31m striker from tonight's Champions League semi-final second leg match against Liverpool and Shevchenko will not even be on the bench.

The repercussions for Mourinho's relationship with Roman Abramovich over Shevchenko are likely to be serious, but in the meantime the manager is understood to have the full backing of the other senior players in his squad. Shevchenko became aware on Sunday morning that he was not part of Mourinho's first XI plans for tonight and reported yesterday at their Cobham training ground with what the club have officially described as a groin strain.

As a result, there is understood to be serious disillusionment with Shevchenko among the rest of the Chelsea players. They know that by leaving out the Ukrainian for tonight's game, Mourinho is risking the long-term security of his recent peace deal with Abramovich. That Shevchenko has subsequently not travelled has heightened tensions between the striker and his team-mates, who believe he should be with them regardless of whether he is injured.

Shevchenko was not at the training session at Anfield yesterday evening. Mourinho's decision to drop him may go right to the heart of the club's politics but it would certainly be justified by recent form. There was no outcry when the player was substituted at half-time against Bolton on Saturday, after a half in which he had barely made an impression.

However, it is unlikely that Abramovich will see it that way. The treatment of Shevchenko by Mourinho has been a major sticking point between the Russian billionaire and his manager and this latest episode seems to have the potential to cause another serious rift between the two men. It is not even clear whether Abramovich will be at Anfield tonight, especially after he learns what has taken place in the last two days.

Shevchenko is not the only player that Mourinho has fallen out with over the last week: he is also understood to be furious with Michael Ballack for going ahead with ankle surgery in Munich. Mourinho wanted the player to play on until the end of the season with his side in an injury crisis but now the German has risked his manager's wrath by independently deciding to have the operation.

Arjen Robben is back in the squad tonight for the first time since 19 March.

Without Shevchenko, it is expected that Mourinho, whose side lead 1-0 from the first leg, will now start with Salomon Kalou in his forward line, as well as Didier Drogba and Joe Cole. Ricardo Carvalho, the Chelsea manager insisted, will not be fit despite the Chelsea medical team's huge effort to get him ready. It was telling that in his press conference yesterday, Mourinho did not even mention Shevchenko or the notion that he was injured. While Shevchenko was not discussed, Mourinho was in one of his more sullen moods yesterday although the same could not be said of Rafael Benitez who, uncharacteristically went on the attack against the Chelsea manager. Mocking Mourinho's injury worries he also said that the decision by the Portuguese to rest key players against Bolton on Saturday had "cost" him his chance of the Premiership title.

"Carvalho's loss is not a big difference for them," Benitez said. "They have Essien as an option. Who is better, Carvalho or Essien? In January [when Essien played], I think they didn't have 'the best defender in the world'. That was Terry. Now they 'don't have the best defender in the world'. That is Carvalho. Each time they have some problems.

"People talk about Benitez against Mourinho, but you cannot change things from the bench if the players don't perform. They are the key. The managers can talk, but they cannot score. I prefer not to talk about these things because we will not change the personality of the other person. I prefer to talk about the players. They will be the stars."

There was a certain edginess between the two men about the choice of tonight's Spanish referee, Manuel Mejuto Gonzalez, who, ironically, also took charge of Liverpool's win over Milan in the 2005 final as well as the comeback against Olympiakos in the same competition. Benitez played down the significance of having a compatriot as the referee - "We can change the referee if you want and have a Portuguese one," he said, "it's not a problem".

Mourinho sounded as if he would like a bigger say on the choice of referee but reined himself in. "I can't imagine what you'd say if he was Portuguese," he said, "but he is a top referee and I prefer a top Spanish referee than a bad referee from another nationality".

The atmosphere at Anfield will also play its part tonight although Mourinho dismissed any negative effect it might have on his players. "I can't see players like [Claude] Makelele not sleeping tonight because of that," he said. "Everyone wants to play in a great atmosphere."

Benitez even joked that "only our supporters can score goals" in reference to Mourinho's claim that Luis Garcia's controversial semi-final winner two years ago was only given because of the roar of the Kop. But he added that the fans would be crucial. "If you know the history of our club, you don't need to say anything else. Our fans will have the last word. It's easier for me. I don't need to give a team talk now."

On Mourinho he finished with a Spanish phrase: "'No ofende quien quiere sino quien puede' means 'you can talk, but you cannot offend me'. Our supporters will be more focused and more behind their team. It's not the club. It's one person [Mourinho] talking. I have a lot of respect for their club, but this is one person talking."

Mourinho said that his opponents would be "Peter Crouch plus 10" with the emphasis on attack if they were to overturn the one-goal lead and take advantage of Essien's unfamiliarity with the centre-back position. As for Abramovich's feelings? "He will be very proud because a team with so many problems is surviving in May with so much to play for," Mourinho said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Shevchenko, Ballack and Carvalho for Chelsea tonight. If Liverpool still can't win tonight then their season is totally fucked!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Samster

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 373 / Power: 18
giggsgiggs is a living Saint! - you won't find bettergiggsgiggs is a living Saint! - you won't find bettergiggsgiggs is a living Saint! - you won't find bettergiggsgiggs is a living Saint! - you won't find better

I go t a feeling Liverpool will win and go to CL Final
Old 01-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Samster

Red face Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

Football: Blanket alcohol ban for Milan v Man Utd decider
GLE

ROME, April 30, 2007 (AFP) -

Authorities in Milan have enforced a blanket ban on the sale of alcohol this Wednesday in a bid to stave off the threat of trouble between Manchester United and AC Milan fans.

AC Milan host United for the second leg of their semi-final a week after United won the first leg 3-2 at Old Trafford.

More than 5,000 United supporters are expected in Milan for the decider, and local authorities, fearing an alcohol-fuelled free-for-all following several incidents prior to and during United's quarter-final against Roma, have banned the sale of alcohol in shops througout the city and the airport.

The only place fans will be able to drink alcohol is in restaurants.

The decision seems to be inspired by the authorities in Rome, who said alcohol was the main reason behind the dozen or so incidents which marred the first leg of United's quarter-final against Roma in the Italian capital.

However there remains widespread doubt that the alcohol ban in Milan will be respected.

The day after the Roma v United match the Italian media reported that despite a similar ban in Rome spirits and beer were seen to be freely on sale.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Samster

Football: IRWIN: SIR ALEX WON'T BE GOING ANYWHERE
Garry DOYLE Chief Soccer Writer

OLD TRAFFORD LEGEND ON WHY FERGIE HAS TIME ON HIS SIDE

MANCHESTER United's Irish legend Denis Irwin believes Alex Ferguson is years away from retiring - and won't let go of the Old Trafford reins until Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo pass their prime.

Irwin won 13 major trophies, including seven Premiership titles and the Champions League in his 12 years under Ferguson - and can't see his old mentor packing it in.

Not when the third great side Fergie is building is on the brink of emulating Irwin's class of 1999 by winning the Premiership, FA Cup and Champions League treble.

And not when Ronaldo and Rooney are just beginning to come to the boil.

Irwin said: "I think the fact he has such a good side now would make him reluctant to relinquish control of it.

"I'd say he is looking at the youthful nature of his players - Ronaldo is 22, Rooney is 21 - and saying, 'I'll hang on for a bit longer'.

"Plus, I don't think there would be an awful lot for him to do if he retired. I mean football is his life. I don't know what he would do if he finished football. So I'd say he'll hang on for a bit longer."

By hanging on way beyond his original retirement date in 2002, Ferguson has seen this current team mature into a swashbuckling outfit, one that is now on the brink of something special.

Saturday saw them place one hand on the Premiership crown with a stunning win at Goodison Park which saw them recover from a 2-0 deficit to beat Everton 4-2.

In doing so there were echoes of that infamous late win over Sheffield Wednesday in 1993 - when Steve Bruce scored two late goals to turn the Championship tide their way.

Irwin was part of that first great Ferguson side - and provided a link between 1993 and 1999 when the treble was secured.

So how does the class of 2007 compare to those previous sides? And can they win another treble?

Irwin said: "It's possible but there is still such a long way to go.

"It's amazing when you get to this stage of the season how fine a line it is between success and failure.

"I remember going for the FA Cup and League - in 1995 - and ending up with neither. But the Premiership is firmly in their own hands now.

"It's too early to say if they will win the other two competitions and tomorrow's game in the San Siro is delicately poised.

"While they impressed by coming back from 2-1 down to beat Milan last week, winning in the San Siro is a different proposition.

"Milan will try to dictate the game, slow it down a little bit whereas United would like to keep the tempo high.

"But sometimes, away from home, it is harder to keep a high tempo and they may have to play with a bit more caution."

Playing with caution is not within the United coaching manual, though - and herein lies a notable difference between Irwin's 1999 side and the current United batch.

Irwin said: "This side - with Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggsy and Scholesy has more goalscoring power - and that's been seen by the fact that they have scored 20 more goals than Chelsea this year."

Five of those goals have come from John O'Shea, who sparked Saturday's comeback with a closerange effort.

Considering too that he got the winner on his last trip to Merseyside, when his 90th minute goal saw off Liverpool, and considering that Saturday was his 44th game of the campaign then it is hard to see how people can say that O'Shea is a makeweight at Old Trafford.

Irwin said: "All in all, if there was a strongest XI available, a lot of fans wouldn't put John in that XI but when you are at a club like United, it is not all about the XI, it is about the squad. You need as big a squad as possible.

"John fits into that. He has done fantastically well whenever he has come into the team and the fact that he is popping up with a few goals now is adding another string to his bow."
Old 01-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Samster

Unhappy Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

Football: NEVILLE KO FOR REDS & ENGLAND
By ALAN NIXON

SKIPPER Gary Neville is out for the rest of Manchester United's season in a bitter blow for the right-back and boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

Neville (right) has been recovering slowly from the ankle injury he picked up against Bolton in March and new scans have revealed worse damage than first thought.

The defender has ligament trouble and bruising that means he will be laid up for over a month more - which ends his United campaign.

It is a desperate setback for Neville who will miss the run-in for the title, a possible Champions League final and the FA Cup showdown with Chelsea.

Neville's injury also makes him a major doubt for England's end-of-season double header with Brazil and Estonia. United would not be keen for him to play in those fixtures after being out for so long.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Samster

Football: SIR ALEX: HUNGER IS KEY TO SUCCESS
by DAVID ANDERSON
1 May 2007

EXCLUSIVE MILAN v MAN UTD, TOMORROW, 7.45PM

SIR ALEX FERGUSON claims the secret of his Manchester United Treble chasers is hunger.

The Old Trafford boss cites Ryan Giggs as an example of the club's insatiable appetite for success.

The veteran winger is desperate to get his hands on more silverware - even though he is already the most decorated player in United's history. And Ferguson takes great heart from his side's intense desire to win as they prepare for the toughest test yet of their Treble credentials against AC Milan in the San Siro tomorrow.

The United boss said: "It's a great squad and what I like about the bunch of lads we have is their hunger and spirit.

"We have a good young team, who are starting to mature and they have that all-important desire to win.

"Look at Giggsy, he's 33 and he's been in the first team since he was 16.

"He's made his money, he doesn't need to play the game anymore, but this is what he lives for. He's lost none of his appetite.

"The players have an attitude and desire to score all the time. They are desperate to win games and score goals, which is a fantastic attitude to have.

"You see the atmosphere in the dressing room and that's a great help to me.

"I see enthusiasm, camaraderie and team spirit and I can go to bed at night knowing I've got a great team."

Fergie says this hunger is also evident in Cristiano Ronaldo and claims the Portuguese is the world's best player because he works so hard at his game.

"The truth is there is no short-cut to becoming a great player," he said.

"Like anything else in life, if you want anything bad enough, then it is hard work and sacrifice that will get you to the top.

"What makes Ronaldo such a great player is his commitment to succeed and the sacrifices he has made. The best sportsmen practise and practise and Ronaldo is still practising after an hour's training session. That's his sacrifice."

The San Siro was the graveyard of United's Champions League hopes two years ago when Milan won 1-0 to wrap up a 2-0 aggregate victory.

Ferguson, who hopes to have Rio Ferdinand back from his groin injury, says the likes of Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney were boys then, but are men now.

United take a slender 3-2 lead into the semifinal return and Ferguson said: "Players such as Rooney and Ronaldo were not ready for those kind of nights two years ago and found it difficult against experienced and accomplished opponents.

"How different they look now. The boys have become men."

Rooney, 21, is on a double mission - in order to win a wager with his boss.

The England striker bet Fergie he would score 25 goals and needs just two more after bagging eight in his last eight games.

Rooney said: "There's not a lot of money involved, but it's a nice incentive."
Old 01-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Samster

My Reputation: Points: 185 / Power: 18
epsilon is a Helpful and Caring Samsterepsilon is a Helpful and Caring Samster

AC Milan v Man Utd

Champions League semi-final, 2nd leg
Date: Wednesday, 2 May
Kick-off: 1945 BST
First leg: 2-3
Venue: San Siro
Listen: BBC Radio Five Live
Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile

AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso will be available but veteran defender Paolo Maldini is a possible absentee.

Both players picked up injuries in the first leg and while Gattuso is expected to recover, Maldini is likely to miss out with a knee injury.

Belgian referee Frank de Bleeckere will take charge of the match.

Manchester United team news to follow.

Belgian referee Frank de Bleeckere will take charge of the match.

BIG MATCH STATS

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.
Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.
European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).
Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Head-to-heads

AC Milan and Manchester United have met seven times before in European competition, United winning three and AC Milan the other four. Milan have won all three matches played in Italy, all without conceding a goal. The Italians have knocked United out each time they have met in Europe.

AC Milan have hosted English clubs on 11 previous occasions and are yet to lose, winning six and drawing five. Manchester United have visited Italy 12 times, winning just twice and losing nine times.

Liverpool, Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea have all knocked AC Milan out of European competition. The last to do so over two legs was Manchester City in the 1978-79 Uefa Cup.

European history

Milan are taking part in the Champions League main competition for the 11th time. They are two times winners of the Champions League and have added these to four Champions Cup triumphs. Last season, Milan were eliminated in the CL semi-finals by eventual winners FC Barcelona. Apart from their six Champions Cups, Milan have also won the now obsolete Cup Winners' Cup twice. They have featured in a record five CL finals, since the competition was launched in 1992-93.

Manchester United are playing in their 31st season of European competition and their 12th in the Champions League. They have won all three European finals they have reached, the 1968 Champions Cup final, 1991 Cup Winners' Cup final and the 1999 Champions League final.

Current European form

AC Milan have struggled in recent home matches, losing 0-2 to Lille OSC, requiring extra time to beat Celtic 1-0 and drawing 2-2 with Bayern Munich.

Manchester United have lost three of their five away matches in this season's Champions League, winning only at Benfica and Lille.

Player and disciplinary info

Patrice Evra is suspended against AC Milan. Gabriel Heinze, Cristiano Ronaldo, Paul Scholes (Man. Utd) and Paolo Maldini (AC Milan) will be suspended for the final if they receive another caution and their team progresses.

Maldini is AC Milan's most experienced player in the Champions League with 104 matches. Filippo Inzaghi has scored 36 Champions League goals in his career, the most by a current Milan player. Kaka and Marek Jankulovski are the only AC Milan players who have played all 11 Champions League matches this season. Kaka has scored nine of the 15 AC Milan goals in this year's Champions League, and has more goals to his name in the Champions League than in Serie A this season.

Wayne Rooney could become the first English player ever to score in four successive Champions League matches. Gary Neville is Manchester United's most experienced player in the Champions League with 98 matches. Ryan Giggs is the club's current top scorer in the competition with 23 goals. Edwin van der Sar, Michael Carrick and Rooney have played in all 11 of United's Champions League matches this season. Only Van der Sar is yet to miss a minute.

Other miscellaneous facts

AC Milan head coach Carlo Ancelotti has reached the Champions League semis for a record fifth time. Sir Alex Ferguson has taken Manchester United to this stage for the fourth time.

This match will be Manchester United's 127th in the Champions League, equalling Real Madrid's record.

Big Match Stats source: Infostrada Sports
Old 02-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Samster

Fergie hits back at Mourinho
1/ 5/2007

SIR Alex Ferguson has launched a furious attack on Jose Mourinho following the Chelsea manager's latest outburst about Cristiano Ronaldo.

Mourinho branded Ronaldo a "liar" last week for questioning his claim that 'new rules' were in operation in the Premier League which prevented Chelsea from getting a penalty and United from conceding one.

Ferguson hit back with predictable force, although that only triggered another personal retort from Mourinho, who accused Ronaldo of being uneducated because he came from working-class family in Madeira.

The attack is clearly a step too far for Ferguson, a socialist to the core, who takes immense pride in his own roots forged the shipyards of Govan.

And the Scot has now rounded on Mourinho, who was brought up in the comfort of a middle-class family in Setubal.

"I don't know why he has done this," said Ferguson.

Principles

"Maybe he is trying to unsettle the boy. But it is really below the belt to bring class into it.

"Just because you come from a poor, working-class background does not mean to say you are not educated.

"What Ronaldo has are principles, that is why he has not responded to it.

"Other people are educated but have no principles."

Ferguson has declared his desire to draw a line under the row, although that seems highly unlikely given the number of times United must face Chelsea before the campaign reaches its conclusion.

The Red Devils are due at Stamford Bridge in eight days' time for the game which, providing the title has not already been tied up by then, could see Ferguson's men crowned champions.

The pair will then meet at Wembley on May 19 in the FA Cup final, when one of them will be thirsting to gain revenge for their failure to win the league.

In addition, it is already certain England's top two will collide in next season's Community Shield, while the possibility of a Champions League epic in Athens on May 23 could become a reality over the next 24 hours.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Samster

My Reputation: Points: 371 / Power: 18
Foursome is a living Saint! - you won't find betterFoursome is a living Saint! - you won't find betterFoursome is a living Saint! - you won't find betterFoursome is a living Saint! - you won't find better

Defenders Vidic and Ferdinand travel to Italy
Updated: May 1, 2007

Defensive duo Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand both flew out to Milan on Tuesday morning, with Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson still to decide whether to name them in his Champions League semi-final line-up.

JohnWalton/Empics
Nemanja Vidic could return from injury

The Red Devils take a 3-2 lead into the decider against AC Milan at the San Siro, but Ferguson knows the presence of Vidic and Ferdinand could be invaluable as they look to preserve their narrow lead.

Ferdinand aggravated a groin injury against Middlesbrough 10 days ago and Vidic has not played since breaking a collarbone in the Premiership triumph over Blackburn on March 31.

However, Ferguson was optimistic enough over both players to name them in his travelling party.

'It is too early to say whether they will play,' said the Scot. 'They will travel and we will assess the situation after training tonight.'

With Patrice Evra suspended, the odds are at least one of them will play, allowing Gabriel Heinze to switch into his favoured left-back role.

Louis Saha could be on the bench despite his recent hamstring problems although the absence of Gary Neville will only fuel speculation the United skipper's ankle injury will rule him out for the season.

Three men: Heinze, Cristiano Ronaldo and Paul Scholes - who famously missed the 1999 Champions League final - are one caution away from a ban, although Ferguson will hope the trio remain fully focused on steering United to what would be only their third European Cup final.

Twice before, in 1958 and 1969, United have fallen to Milan at this stage of the competition.

Ferguson himself has suffered semi-final defeats against Borussia Dortmund and Bayer Leverkusen.

But, a better statistic for United followers is that their club have not lost a European tie after winning the first leg since 1985 and have never done so under Ferguson.

Provisional squad: Van der Sar, Kuszczak, O'Shea, Fletcher, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Heinze, Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Richardson, Eagles, Saha, Smith, Solskjaer, Rooney, Dong.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Samster

My Reputation: Points: 185 / Power: 18
epsilon is a Helpful and Caring Samsterepsilon is a Helpful and Caring Samster

Ferguson has faith in fair play
Tuesday, 1 May 2007

by Michael Harroldfrom Milan

e-mailPrint

Manchester United FC manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes the spirit in which AC Milan and his side play the game should ensure there is no repeat of the disciplinary heartache Paul Scholes and Roy Keane suffered in the semi-final of the UEFA Champions League eight years ago.

'Tragedy'
Both players missed United's 2-1 victory against FC Bayern München in the 1999 final after collecting yellow cards in the second leg of their last-four triumph against Juventus. With United players Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo and Gabriel Heinze, as well as Milan veteran Paolo Maldini, all one booking away from a suspension that would rule them out of the Athens showpiece, Sir Alex hopes history will not repeat itself. "I think it's a tragedy to miss a final," he said, as his team aim to build on last week's thrilling 3-2 victory.

'Confidence'
"My biggest confidence is in AC Milan because I don't think they're a team who do anything bad to get players booked because there's no point to it. Neither team benefits because we don't play each other again. It's a semi-final so it can only help the opponents in the final. From what I've seen in the last two games against AC Milan - the last game, and the two before, two years ago [in the first knockout round] - there was absolutely no evidence of anything wrong.

Maldini praise
"You only have to go back a week and see the manner and spirit in which the game was played in Manchester. I think it was a credit to both sets of players and their professionalism, and I expect the same tomorrow. Paolo Maldini, I believe, is also on two yellows and I think if Milan were to beat us, I think everybody would want to see Maldini in the final. I would like to, because I'll be in Athens no matter whether it's with United or to see the final, and I think a tournament like that should get the best players. For me, it would be fantastic to see Maldini at 38 years of age playing in a European final."

'Thrilling spectacle'
UEFA President Michel Platini praised both clubs for the manner in which the first leg was played, describing the match as a "thrilling spectacle" and a "positive advertisement for European football". They are comments Carlo Ancelotti clearly took to heart. "I'm pleased he said that because, at the moment, it is very important to represent Italian football in the best way," said the Milan coach. "We need to follow the example of other countries in order to improve the situation at hom
Advert Space Available
Bypass censorship with https://1.1.1.1

Cloudflare 1.1.1.1